ASHLAND, ORE.—Vios Spa Group announces the launch of the U.S. based certification program for “green” spas. A comprehensive, global spa certification designed just for spas and offered by spa veterans, the purpose of the Vios Certified Sustainable Spa global program is to assess and recognize leading spas with sustainability best practices and quality standards.
The program’s founder, Shelley Lotz, is the pioneering author of Green Spas and Salons: How to Make Your Business Truly Sustainable (2013), and a former Board Member of the Green Spa Network. With over 25 years of experience in the spa/wellness/beauty industry as an owner, esthetician, and educator, Lotz is also a Certified Sustainable Building Advisor.
This third-party certification is designed to help spas showcase their initiatives, enhance their operations and gain recognition for their efforts. And, just as importantly, as the program expands, consumers can be confident that by visiting www.certifiedsustainablespas.com, they will find spas that have had their commitment to eco-conscious practices validated. The certification program is available to all types and sizes of spas. The two-day, on-site assessment is designed to be user-friendly and efficient.
More About the Certification Program
- The program’s comprehensive standards include 200 specific criteria.
- VCSS is affordable, flexible, and accessible to all spas: day, hotel/resort & destination.
- Vios is distinguished as a green certification program with a focus on spa operations—reviewing both “front of house” and behind the scenes, such as services, supplies, and use of green, clean skincare and body treatment brands.
- Other green certification programs offered by the hospitality, tourism, and building industries are complimentary to VCSS, which includes comparable specifications that are spa-centric.
- VCSS also offers consulting and certification training for staff engagement and inspiring a future generation of green spa leaders.
According to Unilever, “one-third of consumers around the world are now choosing brands based on their social and ethical impact and, with desire from wellness aficionados for sustainable beauty, fitness and travel rising, it’s a trend that’s worth paying close attention to.” Additionally, research from The Shelton Group showed that “58% to 79% of employees consider a company’s social and environmental commitments when deciding where to work.”
“We understand how much effort it takes to create a spa with eco standards,” explains Lotz. “Our new certification program has been meticulously designed to not only recognize those establishments, but to also inspire and educate spas in ways they can go green. And now consumers will have a way to find and experience verified spas who care about people’s health as well as keeping the planet healthy.”
Vios’ third-party assessors are spa and sustainability professionals, with extensive experience in spa management, education, green business, and certification. Besides Lotz, the founding team includes Vios’ Operations Manager Kari Brayman, a strategic branding and digital marketing expert with direct experience in the nonprofit, organic food and beverage and hospitality industries. International and regional assessors are part of the growing team.