HONOLULU—Outrigger Hospitality Group announced its commitment to providing an elevated standard of cleanliness and safety in preparation for the anticipated re-opening of its domestic and international beach resort properties. Outrigger’s Clean Commitment guidelines were designed in consultation with healthcare leaders and developed with Ecolab. It also meets the American Hotel & Lodging Association (AHLA) Stay Safe enhanced industry-wide hotel cleaning standards as well as the Hawaii Lodging & Tourism Association (HLTA) COVID-19 Health, Safety & Security Standards.
The global platform incorporates state-of-the-art technology, cleaning products and procedures in compliance with the latest COVID-19 codes, regulations and brand standards. The program applies to all areas of Outrigger operations, including: host training, social and physical distancing, surface cleaning and disinfecting, general housekeeping, maintenance and overall host and guest health.
“Outrigger has always prioritized a rigorous cleaning protocol to help ensure the wellbeing of our guests and hosts; working closely with our longtime partner Ecolab, Outrigger’s Clean Commitment delivers enhanced and consistent sanitation standards across all of our properties,” said Jeff Wagoner, President and CEO of Outrigger Hospitality Group. “For more than 70 years, Outrigger has offered an oasis for guests around the globe—when the time is right, we look forward to safely welcoming them back to our island homes.”
Outrigger’s Clean Commitment is rooted in The Outrigger Way—the guiding ethos that captures Outrigger’s tradition of hospitality and mutual respect for host, guest and place.
Sanitation & Disinfection
In caring for the local communities in which Outrigger operates, a list of effective disinfectants from Ecolab has been provided and approved by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Despite a stricter adherence to disinfection and sanitization, Outrigger remains committed to choosing and using products that are deemed safer for the environment.
- Public Spaces and High-traffic Areas: The frequency of cleaning and sanitizing will increase in all public spaces with an emphasis on frequent contact surfaces, such as check-in counters, elevator buttons and door handles. New technology will be utilized, including Electrostatic Sprayers for all public area locations and UV Wand Technology for front-desk sanitizing (keyboards, payment stations, key cards, etc.) and housekeeping areas.
- Guestrooms: Industry-leading cleaning and sanitizing protocols from Ecolab will be used to clean guestrooms and housekeeping will place a strong focus on high-touch areas, such as remote controls, water faucet handles, etc. The front desk will present the option of housekeeping service at check-in and the guest must be out of the room at the time of service. Pens, notepads magazines and other collateral—aside from room-service menus—are removed from guestrooms.
- Laundry: All bed linen and laundry will continue to be washed per each Outrigger properties’ schedule at a high temperature in accordance with CDC guidelines.
- Back of House and Shared Equipment: The frequency of cleaning and disinfecting will also increase in high traffic back-of-house areas, including but not limited to host dining rooms, entrances, uniform control rooms, restrooms, loading docks, offices and kitchens. Time-clock locations will also have a CDC approved hand sanitizer station or wipes for use after each swipe. Shared equipment will be sanitized regularly between shifts and when transferred from one host to another.
In the event of a presumptive case of COVID-19, the guest’s room will be removed from service and quarantined. Should there be a confirmed case, the room will undergo an enhanced sanitization by a licensed third-party expert and approved by the local health authority.
Social Distancing Protocols
Outrigger properties are implementing a policy regarding physical distancing of at least six feet, with new measures taken together with hosts and guests that may include, but not be limited to:
- Queuing: Any area where guests or hosts may queue will be clearly marked for appropriate physical distancing; this includes check-in, check-out, elevator lobbies, food and beverage outlets and public areas.
- Front Desk and Concierge: Hosts will utilize every other workstation to ensure separation between hosts and a clear barrier such as Plexiglass will be introduced throughout the property where necessary.
- Food & Beverage Outlets: Restaurants and bars will reduce seating capacities to allow for a minimum of six feet between each seated group of guests.
- Meeting Spaces: Meeting and banquet set-up arrangements will allow for physical distancing between guests based on CDC and local health authority recommendations, with new serving requirements for all self-serve buffet-style food service areas.
- Pools: Pool seating will be configured to allow for at least six feet of separation and each Outrigger property will monitor and limit groups to no more than 10 individuals.
The health and safety of Outrigger’s ‘ohana (family) is paramount to all company operations. Outrigger Hospitality Group has put the following measures in place for all hosts to ensure they are safe and prepared to return to work:
- Host Health: All hosts company-wide are required to have their temperature checked before starting their shift.
- Host Training: Outrigger hosts will be thoroughly trained in accordance with the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and applicable regulatory standards to respond to and report all presumed cases of COVID-19 on property to appropriate authorities.
- Host Hygiene and Safety: Outrigger hosts are essential in establishing and maintaining an effective sanitation and health program. Hosts are expected to wash their hands every 60 minutes, wear appropriate Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) and managers will stagger host arrival times and departures to allow for physical distancing, among other necessary measures.
Learn more about Outrigger Hospitality Group and its COVID-19 sanitization and operational policies at www.outrigger.com/clean-commitment.